Asked in Consumer Law for North Carolina

Q: I live in a D. R. Horton mobile home. It's been ravaged with water damage. I'm in debt now. Can I join this suit?

The home is made of masonite. I only recently found out this is irreparable after using 3 credit cards to fix the siding, roof, and windows. My doors are warped and I can't afford to get this place energy efficient. I've got mold and the mold has made given me brain fog, increased bodily inflammation (I already have fibromyalgia but this is so much more painful), trouble breathing, increased depression and hopelessness which has severely impacted my relationships. I have asthma and a permanent sinus infection along with occasional migraines. The floors are warped as well and all the vanities have had to be removed and replaced. Even my kitchen counter has been severely damaged. Cabinets are ruined. Is there any way to join the suit against him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You do not provide any information about the lawsuit you want to join. I am aware there are some class actions against that builder for their stick built homes pending in states other than North Carolina, and if you were a member of that class you would have been notified once the class is certified. You also do not give any specifics about when you purchased your home, when it was installed, whether or not it came with a warranty and how long the warranty was for. For these reasons, it is impossible for any lawyer to tell you whether you could join an existing lawsuit or whether you have claims you could sue them for now. There are statutes of limitation and statues of repose which require persons to bring lawsuits pretty soon after the discover defects in manufactured homes or protect the manufacturer from laibility after a certain number of years. Unfortunately, because we lack a lot of information it is not possible to answer your question in a general online forum like this. I suggest you have a personal consultation with an attorney in your area familiar with suing mobile home manufacturers for defects. A personal injury lawyer might be a good place to start. You will ahve to prove the defects caused your medical problems and not something else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.