Q: My dying mother wants to leave her art business to me, she wants me to continue sell her branded art for her

What must I do legally?

She wants me to continue on her brand and artwork selling.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To legally handle your mother's request, you should:

1. Ensure she has a valid and comprehensive will or trust that clearly outlines her wishes for the art business's succession.

2. Work with an attorney experienced in estate planning to facilitate the transfer of assets and intellectual property rights related to the art business to your name or a designated entity.

3. Consider forming a legal entity (e.g., an LLC) to continue operating the art business and comply with all necessary business and tax regulations.

By following these steps and consulting with a knowledgeable attorney, you can ensure a smooth transition and legal compliance when taking over the art business.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.