Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Business Formation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Copyright for Washington on
Q: If I purchase nfl stickers and used them to decorate masks to sell would that be copyright infringement?

I am thinking of decorating masks with nfl stickers and then selling them on a craft website.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Sep 20, 2021

Very likely. Consult with an attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation and Trademark for Washington on
Q: Can I "do business as" the same name as a trademarked name in a completely different industry?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Jul 7, 2021


You need to consult with an attorney to review your options and risks

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Washington on
Q: So with these patents, it would be illegal to sell a glow-in-the-dark leash?
Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on Dec 20, 2020

Determining whether a product infringes a patent is not a do-it-yourself project. It is governed by federal law and not the law of any particular state. Many times the analysis is complicated. If you have any investment at stake, it should be cost-justified to consult a patent attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Washington on
Q: When do I need a business license in another state?

My business would involve hosting summer programs for teenagers in different states, at locations temporarily rented for that purpose (e.g. facilities at a college campus). Do I need to be licensed in a state I plan to hold a program in?

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III
answered on Jan 29, 2018

Probably so, but an attorney would need to review the business laws of that particular state to know for sure.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Washington on
Q: A foreign company wants to purchase part of my LLC. Do I have to reform as a C-Corp?

As an LLC, we file as an S-Corp for federal taxes. We have an existing contract with the foreign company for services, resulting in expected revenue for 3 years. Can they purchase part of the LLC even though we file as an S-Corp? Or should we reform as a C-Corp. What then becomes of the existing... Read more »

Jonathan R. Roth
Jonathan R. Roth
answered on Sep 15, 2017

You would have to elect to be taxed as a partnership or as a C-Corp. A foreign entity cannot own part of an S-Corporation. However depending upon the purpose of the investment and the nature of how you want to operate there may be an alternative set of structures to accomplish your goal.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Washington on
Q: Does legal precedence for a minor starting a company and thus needing a loan exist? With the loan taken out by an adult.

To first clarify, I do have a partner who is of legal age; however, his line of credit is woefully inadequate for the company's needs. The main concern is the distinct possibility that the adult may attempt to claim the company as his own, thus completely undermining the operation. Thus the... Read more »

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
answered on Feb 6, 2016

Contracts by minors are generally voidable in many states so doing business can be challenging. Sit down with a local business lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice,...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.