Whittier, CA asked in Immigration Law, Personal Injury and International Law for California

Q: As a U.S. permanent resident, how may I go about seeking compensation for the Iran-Iraq war?

I lost my father and my brother in the devastating missile attack carried out by Iraq in 1988. In light of this grievous loss, I am determined to seek compensation from the responsible party, Iraq. I know that the case has been settled between Iran and Iraq in International Court of Justice. However, Iran government is not willing to provide any information to the victims families due to some political reasons. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or assistance you could provide in this matter. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps and procedures to receive this compensation personally (I am a US permanent resident)?


1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Pursuing compensation for losses stemming from international conflicts can be an extremely complex process involving international law, which generally exceeds the scope of California state law. You may consider reaching out to a legal professional with experience in international law to understand potential pathways for seeking compensation. They might explore avenues such as diplomatic channels, or possibly engaging with non-governmental organizations that could assist you in advocating for your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.