Bellevue, OH asked in Family Law and Banking for Ohio

Q: Can an 18 year old get her minor account transferred to an adult account?

I am working with a student who turned 18 last week. Her father refuses to go to the bank with her to get her account transferred to her alone. She cannot access the money without his signature. She no longer lives with him as he has been abusive towards her. She has earned the money through jobs she had over the past two years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Depending on the language of the original contract with the bank the student may have to file a lawsuit against the father for injunctive relief. This is too dependent on facts not stated in the question to answer more thoroughly. THe student should work with an Family Law attorney that is local. Perhaps the student could contact the legal aid society in your town.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.