Parma Heights, OH asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Support and Municipal Law for Ohio

Q: What are my options for recourse in Ohio if a butler county juvenile court employee informed me incorrectly?

Had CS hearing for contempt- couldnt make it. Warrant issued. Paid to get recalled, was issued new hearing (employee came out, handed me new date paper & said “be there”). Again, date conflicting. I asked how to reschedule. She refused to go back (hearing was done w/ me in the lobby) to ask judge for diff date since she was “just giving me paperwork” & told me to file a continuance. I asked “Can I just file now since Im here?” Response “No you have to file WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF HEARING”. She couldve said “I cant say” but she didnt (I- & apparently she- saw this as a timeframe ? not as legal advice ? no need for rudeness). I filed 8 days prior & was denied saying file “14+ DAYS PRIOR” & warrant results. This is also the same court that (in prev attempts to file for custody) *voluntarily* told us we were filing wrong form & gave us a diff form to file than requested only to take our $ & say the same thing in the end w/ new form they provided. Cant $ attorney otherwise Id just $ my sons CS!

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The employees cannot give legal advice. There are literally signs all over every court stating this. YOU are responsible for either hiring an attorney or learning the rules through independent research. Appear before the court ASAP and make your explanation. Better yet, invest in actually hiring an attorney who regularly practices in your court. You have no cause of action against an employee of the court, however.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.