Dallas, TX asked in Civil Rights, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: Can my son throw me out of the house I've lived at fir 22 years with my mother if she left him the house after she passe

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your mother left the house to your son in her will or trust, he would become the legal owner upon the appropriate legal proceedings confirming the transfer. However, given that you've resided in the house for 22 years, you might have certain rights or claims. These could be based on tenancy, adverse possession, or other equitable arguments. Additionally, if you contributed to the home's upkeep, mortgage, or other expenses, you might have a claim based on those contributions.

If you're disabled, there may be state-specific laws that provide additional protections against eviction. If your son seeks to evict you, he would typically need to follow formal eviction procedures. It's crucial to consult with a local attorney to understand your specific rights and explore potential legal avenues. Immediate action may be required to protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.