Miami, FL asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Car Accidents for Florida

Q: My wife crashed our car in September 2022, my insurance paid around 24K to a local bodyshop but my car it's not fixed

I already did a police report around 3 weeks ago but nothing has changed, this September 22 will be a year that I am making my car and insurance payments and my main concern is that it is a lease car I have 1 year left and I don't have a car, the repair bodyshop took the money and never fixed my car

2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to either schedule a consultation with an attorney or contact a government consumer protection agency. For the latter, you can dial 311, the Miami-Dade County switchboard, and say you need to make a consumer complaint, or contact the Fla. Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr.
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Ft Myers, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your car insurance paid any of the damage to your car, you should contact them and explain to them that your car was not repaired and you want them to contact the body/repair shop to complete the repairs. If that does not work, then I would contact a consumer lawyer in your area. You can go to the National Association of Consumer Advocates to find a lawyer in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.