Seattle, WA asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington

Q: As a passenger in a vehicle without a seat belt do you have to give the officer your ID

I was a passenger in a vehicle took my seat belt off before the cop approached my side of the vehicle cop asked for my ID I refuse to give it to him said he had been talking to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jahnis John Abelite
Jahnis John Abelite
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Arlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If a police officer is going to issue a notice of infraction to a person in a motor vehicle for not wearing a seat belt while riding in that vehicle that was stopped, under RCW 7.80.060, the officer can request the person's name, address and date of birth. If the person refuses to provide that information, then the policeman can detain that person long enough to determine their identity before issuing a ticket. Upon request of the policemen, the person shall produce valid identification of a driver's license or an identity card. Talking to you has no bearing upon your obligation to produce identification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.