Q: What steps to take filing for new public defender and getting something done about misrepresentation by one?

My soon to be husband has been almost a year awaiting outcome of a federal arrest that I have found out more about online than he has from his public defender. When asked to meet with him she has still a year later never met him in person. She has filed notices and discussed pleas without his knowledge or consent. When violated on a pre trial release violation that if had been properly investigated when asked to as he was not sure why situation was still happening, was denied an expert witness by his own attorneys office that could have proven his claims due to medical issue. He was remanded because his lawyer had no proof to back up his statement after she was given 2 weeks to get said evidence. In an email to me she states that her office did not approve of an expert witness because of his statements to her prior we not plausible excuses and they had no infection signs. He was given antibiotics at the jail after seeing nurse and giving sample. We feel she is not trying to help him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Caviglia
Marco Caviglia
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lagrangeville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: One may complain to either or both the Federal Defender's Office of NYS and the presiding judge in the case, but had better have all the details correct and back up the allegations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.