Birmingham, AL asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Alabama

Q: Do Alabama non-profit principal addresses have to be in the state?

I am forming a non-profit as a student in Alabama. I live in Michigan and so I don't have an address here. We recruited a registered agent service to be compliant for the state, but we don't have a principal address in the state of Alabama. Could I use my home address?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Alabama, nonprofit organizations are typically required to have a registered agent who has a physical address within the state. This registered agent is responsible for receiving legal documents and official notices on behalf of the nonprofit. However, the principal address of the nonprofit doesn't necessarily have to be located in Alabama. You can generally use your home address in Michigan as the principal address for the nonprofit in Alabama. Many nonprofits, especially smaller ones or those without a physical presence in Alabama, use out-of-state addresses for their principal office. This is a common practice and is usually acceptable. Just make sure that you have a registered agent in Alabama to receive legal notices and official documents, as this is a legal requirement. The registered agent's address will be on public record, while the principal address is not always publicly disclosed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.