Deltona, FL asked in Real Estate Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for Florida

Q: Can I sue a property developer over lost income and property devaluation?

The developer of my condohotel building retained control over all amenities. We pay a percent to use them and a percent of desk employee salaries. He shut down the pool, gym, parking garage and fired employees saying we owe him a million as well as wants the percent increased. This has gone on over a year, the board has spent 600k in legal fees with no result other than he was to repair garage which he didn't do. Most of us rent these as str and got few reservations and very reduced rates for those we got due to no amenities. We paid a total of 5 million in assessments to fix the pool and seawall destroyed by Hurricane then not allowed to use pool and seawall not fixed. The board isn't providing any accounting of where this 5 million in assessments, 3,9 million in dues paid last year or 2 million from insurance went but say there's nothing in reserve. Property values have plummeted as no one wants to buy a unit w these problems and no amenities. What is my best recourse?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You need to hire a community association lawyer to review your Declaration of Condominium, Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.After a review of these documents a lawyer will be able to tell you if you have a case. You should also submit a certified letter, return receipt requesting to inspect the official records. The Association has 10 business days from the receipt of your letter to give you access to the records. You can then make copies of the financials because you will need them and you will need to hire an auditor to review them. You will also need these for the consultation with the lawyer you consult with.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.