Redondo Beach, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Urgent Advice Needed on Parenting Plan Assessment Payment Issue?

22days ago, during RFO custody hearing, the court issued a verbal order regarding a Parenting Plan Assessment and payment of a fee of $975. I understood that the deadline for this payment would start once the Proposed Order was signed. and both parties are still in "Meet and Confer" period to agree with stipulated Prop Order. The court issued a notice today, stating the assessment scheduled for January, 2024, has been canceled due to non-payment. I was under the impression the payment deadline would start after the Proposed Order's formal signature, and I realize now that this might have been a misunderstanding. What is the best course of action to address the court about my genuine oversight due to my self-represented status? Should I file a motion for reconsideration or take another route? How do I approach the court to possibly reschedule the assessment or provide further directions?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Certainly. In California, when faced with such an oversight, you may want to promptly file a Declaration explaining the situation, emphasizing your self-represented status, your understanding of the payment timeline, and your commitment to promptly remit the fee. Additionally, you can request the court to set a new date for the Parenting Plan Assessment, ensuring to express your commitment to abiding by all court orders and instructions moving forward. Lastly, it would be beneficial to promptly communicate with the other party and get their stance, as mutual agreement can be persuasive to the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.