Cleveland, OH asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: What jurisdiction would I file a claim?

I lived in a place that we found out had toxic black mold and me and my family have been medically harmed by this. I asked the landlord to fix the issues and they refused, I complained to the health department and Fire Marshall and both told them they had to fix it due to serious health conditions and they refused but filed an eviction, they won't the eviction despite all the evidence. My mom has had several cardiac events, my son has been diagnosed with toxic mold exposure and health issues related to it and I now need 2 different surgical procedures due to it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but you await a response for two weeks. You may already be in touch with an Ohio attorney with the eviction. Consult with a local personal injury attorney about the best manner for handing the element of injury. Although the place of occurrence of an injury or the location of property is generally an acceptable basis for jurisdiction nationwide, only a local attorney could advise on this under Ohio law. Since you also have an ongoing eviction matter, you should coordinate attorneys for eviction and attorneys for injury, unless a single law firm is handling both. I'm sorry for your family's ordeal. I hope your son and mother are okay. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.