Riverside, CA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for California

Q: Why when my Accountant fraudulenly stole my entire life savings I was told by local Palm Springs Police that its a Civil

He had done this with several others and settled out of court. Got loans against my company without my knowledge, told me the expenxe was unpaid Occupancy taxes. He wired money allocated for my business into his own accounts and states the customer never paid. I had an independent audit dome and presentede him with the facts, he then wiped out all from my business and personal accounts. I have no funds to now even retail an Attorney, lost my home as a result. Do I have any avenue to bring this accountant to justice?

Thank you,

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I can offer some general guidance. If you believe you are a victim of fraud or embezzlement by your accountant, you may have legal options to pursue. You can consider reporting the matter to law enforcement, such as your local police or the district attorney's office, and consult with a civil attorney to explore potential civil litigation against the accountant for financial damages. Legal aid organizations or pro bono attorneys may also be able to provide assistance if you're unable to afford representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.