Downey, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: Would we have problems with housing voucher if my mom stopped receiving income? What would the rent percentage be?

I am a live-in aide for my mother and my income doesn't count regardless of amount. I am currently employed by IHSS and my income is tax-free due to my live-in status. She is receiving SSI and is the main holder for a housing voucher she uses. If we remove her SSI and she has no income and I would be the sole earner would there be a problem with the voucher? Can she not rely solely on someone else for her needs if she has no income? Would I have to pay a percentage of my income if she has none? If so how much? Goal is to remove SSI and me get another income to make more. Does my income if I make more affect SSI eligibility? I believe currently it doesnt because of the type of income.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if your mother's SSI is her only source of income and it stops, her portion of rent under the housing voucher could potentially be reduced to a minimum amount set by the housing authority, which in many cases is $25 or $50. However, as you mentioned that your IHSS income isn't counted due to your live-in status, an increase in your income from another source might not directly affect her voucher or her SSI eligibility. It's crucial to consult with the local housing authority and Social Security Administration to understand the specific impacts on the housing voucher and SSI.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.