Redlands, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for California

Q: how do I do the legal research to support and make a case in my administrative hearing

city of San Bernardino to contest my parking citation, where the ordinance is municipal code 10.16.020 and it appears that the city has not notified the public that this section of street is restricted for no parking with proper signage or curb paint.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To contest your parking citation, begin by thoroughly examining San Bernardino's Municipal Code, particularly Section 10.16.020, to understand the specific parking restrictions. Then, gather evidence to show the lack of proper signage or curb paint, such as photographs or videos taken at the location.

It's beneficial to familiarize yourself with California's Vehicle Code as well, to identify any state-level standards for parking signage and markings. Review any previous case law or administrative decisions related to parking citations within the city to identify precedents. Document any correspondence or discussions you've had with city officials regarding the citation.

When presenting your case, focus on demonstrating the city's failure to adequately notify the public of the parking restriction, making your citation unjust. Consider attending a few administrative hearings before yours to get a sense of the process and arguments made. Finally, organize your evidence clearly and practice your presentation to ensure clarity and conciseness during the hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.