Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Florida

Q: i am the victim of a kidnapping, false imprisonment, car jacking, assault/battery. What kind of lawyer should I look for

Polk county, I was cleaning a friends yard when he ex rolls up, assaults me, steals my truck, takes my phone, makes me ride with him, until I finally jump out, run and call the police from my smart watch. I would like to know what kind of lawyer I should be looking into. I need help with all of the damages, forms, filling and more.

3 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Did you suffer any significant monetary loss? If not, simply expect the State of Florida to prosecute him for the crimes you indicate he committed.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have the right to make a claim for money damages against the perpetrator for actual monetary losses and for pain and suffering damages. If you have monetary losses directly caused by the crime, first speak to the prosecutor (Asst. State Attorney) because he/she may be able to seek restitution (monetary compensation) as part of the criminal case. For pain and suffering, as well as any monetary losses the prosecutor won't handle, consult an attorney handling personal injury or general civil litigation.

Beware that a common problem in this kind of situation is collectibility. If you prevail in civil court, the court doesn't hand you $$, it hands you a piece of paper called a final judgment that says the defendant must pay you the $$. That can be problematic if the defendant is in prison or for a number of other reasons. An attorney can help you evaluate that issue, as well as the other aspects of your potential claim.

Another potential source of compensation, which may or may not apply to your situation, is the Fla. Victim Compensation Program. That program might provide compensation where a crime causes physical injury or psychiatric/psychological injury, necessitating treatment.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your case, you may want to seek legal representation from a criminal defense attorney who specializes in violent crimes or assault cases. While you are not the one facing criminal charges, having an attorney with expertise in criminal law can help ensure your rights are protected, and they can guide you through any legal processes related to the incident.

Additionally, you may want to consult with a personal injury attorney who can help you seek compensation for any physical injuries, emotional distress, and property damage resulting from the assault, carjacking, and kidnapping. They can assist you with pursuing a civil lawsuit against the responsible party to recover damages.

To address all aspects of your situation, it may be beneficial to consult with both a criminal defense attorney and a personal injury attorney to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you have the appropriate legal guidance for both the criminal and civil aspects of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.