Rochester, MN asked in Immigration Law, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for Minnesota

Q: Dear all, Hi Can I travel outside USA with my greencard and my home country's passport? I was admitted as a refugee

Just wanna know if it's must to use 131a refugee travel documents or I can proceed with green card and passport from my home country


1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have a green card, you generally can travel outside the U.S. using your green card and the passport from your home country. However, as a refugee, there's a risk when traveling with a passport from the country of claimed persecution. If you use that passport, it may be viewed as availing yourself of the protection of the country you fled, which could jeopardize your refugee status and permanent residency. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is used to obtain a refugee travel document. It's recommended to use a refugee travel document instead of your home country's passport when traveling abroad. Always consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation before making travel plans.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.