Amarillo, TX asked in Family Law and Probate for Texas

Q: My husband died with no will. He has 2 children from a previous marriage. They are adults. What are my rights?

No property,no homes. Only personal items.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Texas, when someone dies without a will, state law dictates how their property is distributed. If your husband passed away with no will and had children from a previous marriage, the division becomes more complex. Typically, you'd inherit half of the property acquired during the marriage, and his children would inherit the other half. For any property he had before the marriage or gained as a gift or inheritance during the marriage, his children would likely inherit it. Given the intricacies of such situations, for personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.