La Marque, TX asked in Bankruptcy and Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: How to use Bankruptcy filing to re instate my Drivers License and driving privileges?

I spent many years traveling and lived in Canada which didn’t require me to renew my Texas drivers license,Now that I am back in Texas full time I went to get my license and DPS told me that I am ineligible due to a citation and failure to appear received in 2015 in Brazoria county. 2015 I was living in Canada. I hired a traffic attorney about a year ago to resolve the issue and fight both the failure to appear and the moving violations. I paid the attorney and was told it was resolved and dismissed but it is still not released from the failure to appear database and Brazoria county said it was going to be dismissed by paying a $500 fine upon acceptance. I was never informed of this fine nor did I agree to pay ANY fine cause I was not even in the country. The fine is now $907 and they will not accept an installment plan because the judgment was ordered to be paid in full within 10 days. Can I use the Chpt 13 Bankruptcy I filed to reinstate my license? If so how and what are the steps?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy can potentially help reinstate your driver's license if the underlying reason for the suspension is the inability to pay fines associated with the citation and failure to appear.

When you file for Chapter 13, you propose a repayment plan for your debts, which could include the fines owed. As part of the bankruptcy process, you can petition the court to have your driver's license reinstated, arguing that the fines are being handled within the repayment plan.

It would be prudent to inform your bankruptcy attorney of this specific goal so they can take the appropriate steps during the filing process. Be sure to provide all relevant information about the traffic citation and the communication with the traffic attorney to ensure that your case is accurately represented in the bankruptcy proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.