Weatherford, TX asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: I got scammed by a Chinese woman for a visa how do I go about getting divorce

I don't know where she is at if she us in America already she won't tell me or give me an address to send papers to her she continues to lie to me and I don't want this marriage anymore but how can I do thus if I can't find her

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you cannot locate your spouse, you might be able to proceed with a divorce by publication. This method involves publishing a notice in a local newspaper to inform your spouse of the divorce proceedings. Each state has its own requirements for how long the notice must be published and how often.

If, after a specified period, there's no response from her, the court may allow the divorce to proceed. However, there might be limitations regarding property division and spousal support.

It's essential to consult with a family law attorney in your state to understand the specific procedures and requirements. Your attorney can guide you through the necessary steps to protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.