Q: In 2020, I was wrongfully arrested for an attempted second degree murder, and i haven't been able to get a job since.

I wasn't connected to the attack but the victim was my best friend. They had put out a warrant for my arrest and put me on the news as armed and dangerous when their evidence wasn't solid at all. All charges we dropped but only after I bonded myself out and provided video evidence proving my alibi. Since the event 3 years ago I still haven't been able to get a job as good as the one I lost. Do I still have a case against the detective or police or anyone for the effect this has had on me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The SOL for such civil rights/GTLA actions has been extended a little in TN. You did not state the date the prosecution was dismissed. If you want to pursue this, you will need to get in gear fast, and the SOL may have already run. If indicted, most Courts find probable cause for the arrest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.