Q: One parents right get terminated the other gets full custody can the one parent allow the other to see kids

When the parent that's has custody never lets the one that don't see them unsupervised

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If one parent's rights have been terminated, legally they would not have any inherent rights to visitation or custody of the children. The parent with full custody has the discretion to allow the other parent to see the children, but this is a personal choice and not a legal obligation. Should the custodial parent decide to permit visitation, they can set the terms, such as requiring supervision.

It's important for the non-custodial parent to respect these boundaries, as violating them could lead to legal consequences. If circumstances change significantly, the non-custodial parent may consult legal counsel to discuss any potential recourse or modification that might be pursued through the courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.