High Point, NC asked in Employment Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I send a request for unpaid hours even after I quit?

I was told that orientation and training would be paid. The system didn't accept me and the assistant manager said they'd put in my hours manually. They never did, and I haven't been paid. I am quitting because of another job opportunity and would like to know if I can put in a request to have those hours paid for. I got paid for every day after that but never for that one day. I bought this to their attention a second time and they told me it was fine, they had input it. But the pay I was supposed to get for that week was way less, it excluded the hours for that particular day. I want to submit a letter stating the issue with the system and what I was told as well as the hours I stayed and did training. I want to know if this is possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can send a written request for payment for unpaid hours, even after you have resigned from your employment. Your request might include information about the amount of money you believe you are owed, how you calculated this amount, how long you have been owed this money, and previous communications about the money you are owed.

However, you should first check your employment agreement and your calculations to make sure you haven't missed or misunderstood anything. You should also be careful about including information that does not help your case or potentially hurts your case. Last, if you are asked to release or waive any rights in exchange for receiving pay that you are already entitled to receive, you might consider consulting with an attorney.

If your former employer fails or refuses to pay you what you are legally entitled to, the North Carolina Department of Labor might be able to assist you.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.