Livonia, MI asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Michigan

Q: Power of attorney - if my sister declines and I am successor can she reverse this if something happens to me


We have a power of attorney for financial and one for healthcare issues. My sister is named as primary on both with me as successor. We agreed that I would handle finances and she would handle healthcare. The bank wants a letter of resignation from her declining to be the agent for finances so I can succeed as agent. My sister is worried that if something happens to me (like death) that she will it be able to change it back because she declined it. Our Aunt has just been diagnosed with dementia so rewriting the document is not really an option.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your sister is right to be concerned, creating a need for a conservatorship to be established. While everyone sounds to be in good terms now, you all could elect to do that now to save the hassle of having to do it in the midst of a crisis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.