Columbus, OH asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Kentucky

Q: Home security company never installed cameras but has been charging me monthly fees for 5-6 years. What can I do?

Just needing a little guidance on whether I have a lawsuit, I used fluent security company to install security cameras and sensors in my house. This was about 5-6 years ago. Well they never installed the cameras and I have been paying for their service for 5-6 years but have never used their service because it was never fully functional. I tried canceling a couple years after and they wouldn't let me cancel, they wanted to charge me $650 to cancel for something they knowingly never installed a fully functional system.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a home security company has failed to install cameras as per the agreement and has been charging you for non-rendered services, you may have grounds to dispute the charges and potentially seek reimbursement. It would be advisable to review the terms of your contract with the company and collect all records of payments and correspondence.

If the company is uncooperative, you may consider reaching out to a consumer protection agency or filing a claim in small claims court, depending on the amount in question.

Additionally, consulting with a lawyer who has experience in consumer rights could provide you with specific guidance on how to proceed based on the details of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.