New York, NY asked in Consumer Law and Internet Law for New York

Q: How can I get my money back for car parts listed on facebook marketplace, paid for with cash app? Parts never arrived.

I sent $3500 to a seller on facebook markert place and paid with cash app. The seller canceled the shipment and has stopped responding. I would like to take legal action to get my money back and have legal fees paid for by them. I am located in New York, they are in Arkansa. I have reported them to facebook. After doing some research I have seen that they have scammed people before. Please advise me on my options.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've been scammed on Facebook Marketplace, there are several steps you can take to attempt to recover your money. First, report the fraud to Cash App, as they may have a process for disputing transactions. Additionally, contact your local police department to file a report; they can coordinate with law enforcement in Arkansas. Since the amount is $3500, small claims court could be an option, where you can often represent yourself without an attorney, but be aware that you would need to file in the jurisdiction where the seller is located.

Also, you can report the incident to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) at, which is a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center. Recovering legal fees is more challenging and is not typically awarded in small claims court. It's important to act quickly and keep all correspondence and proof of payment as evidence for your claim. Consulting with an attorney for guidance specific to your case may also be beneficial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.