Cabot, AR asked in Small Claims, Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: If a storage unit owner does not follow Arkansas law regarding the auction of my property, is there anything I can do?

I'm absolutely devastated and heartbroken. I went to get some things out of our storage unit at Copper Safe storage today and everything is gone. Thousands of dollars worth of stuff. All my winter clothes, my families winter clothes, all my Christmas decor that I've collected over the years, EVERYTHING. I called and the heartless woman I spoke with said the bill hadn't been paid in 3 months so they sold everything. I've been in and out if the hospital since July and so has my 5 year old. We have had a lot going on and I didn't realize it had stopped coming out of my account after I had to get a new card because of some fraudulent charges on my account. It slipped my mind that the storage needed to be changed over to the new account. My issue is that no one from there followed Arkansas law and sent us a certified letter notifying us of an auction or a problem. I would have made it right instantly. I'm posting so no one gets hurt the way I have been today. I'm so upset

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Either hire an AR attorney to sue for an injunction, or check into bidding at the sale (without telling anyone of the contents, or forget about it. Apparently you have been wasting your time complaining to the lessor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.