Fairborn, OH asked in Family Law, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Ohio

Q: Can I sue the co-owner of a property for refusing to sell now that the property has been reverted to beneficiary?

Family member passed away and we inherited a percentage of this property. Other family member who inherited percentage of the property was living in it and refused to move or sell the house when we had a buyer. The property was foreclosed on because they did not pay the mortgage. Property went to auction and did not sell the first time and was just reverted to the beneficiary after not selling the second time.

Do we have any legal recourse on this family member? We are out a significant amount of money because they refused to sell the home initially and they have now purchased a new home and moved on.

1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You probably need to file a partition action to force the sale. Except, the mortgage company may beat you to forcing another sale. A partition action can take months (or years) before you reach the end. I recommend you find a real estate attorney to advise you what your rights are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.