Westerville, OH asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio

Q: What happens after a violation of procedural due process? What options are available?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: After a violation of procedural due process, you have the right to challenge the validity of the proceedings that denied you such due process. Options may include filing an appeal if within the appropriate time frame or seeking to overturn a decision through various post-judgment motions.

You may also have grounds to file a separate civil action if the violation has caused you harm. In some cases, it might be appropriate to file a complaint with a supervisory body overseeing the conduct of judicial or quasi-judicial processes. Reviewing the details of your situation with legal counsel may help identify the best course of action.

It’s important to act promptly, as there are often strict timelines for asserting your rights after a due process violation.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Appeal is an option, but an attorney would need to look closer at the matter. There are a number of different ways in which due process could be violated. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.