Scottsdale, AZ asked in Banking and Elder Law for Arizona

Q: My father-in-law is being abused financially. His wife took 300k He needs $ to attend his daughters celebration of life

Can we call the police or file an order so he can regain his 50%

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Arizona, if you suspect financial abuse of your father-in-law, you can indeed take action. First, consider reporting the situation to the police, especially if you believe a crime has been committed. You can also contact Adult Protective Services in Arizona, as they investigate cases of elder financial abuse. If the funds were joint assets, your father-in-law may have legal recourse to recover his portion.

A civil lawsuit might be an option for recovering the money, depending on the specifics of the situation.

It's important to gather all relevant financial documents and evidence of the alleged abuse. Consulting with an attorney experienced in elder law or financial abuse cases would be beneficial to understand the legal options and the best course of action. Prompt action is crucial in such situations to protect your father-in-law's rights and assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.