Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Arizona on
Q: what can i do about asking some1 if they could buy me a bus ticket, and they give me their card info. but say i didnt

now they are taking me to court saying i didnt have permission

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jul 22, 2020

You do no say if you are being sued by the card holder, the credit card company or the bank in civil court, or if criminal charges have been brought against you. If you used someone else's credit or debit card with their permission, and you are able to prove this, then you were authorized and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning and Probate for Arizona on
Q: I have money in my bank that is not mine how long until it is mine?

I acted as the executor for my father's passing. Because of covid my siblings could not be present for collecting his estates. I told them I would send there part once it's in my possession. I now have it in a bank account ready to go but they have not given me the information to transfer... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on May 9, 2020

You can never claim it as your own. If you are unable to find the true owners within three years you must turn the money over to the state.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Criminal Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I be sued for Criminal Intent to Defraud a U.S. bank over credit card debt from 2010?

A collections agency is calling and threatening legal litigation

Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin answered on May 3, 2020

There is a state and federal statute of limitations for criminal offenses. The general Arizona statute of limitations for felonies is 7 years. The general statute of limitations for federal crimes is five years. These time limits can vary depending on the exact crime at issue. Beyond this... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking and Elder Law for Arizona on
Q: I have a General PoA for my elder dad, but bank requires a Durable poa. How can I get one if he's not cognizant?

He is currently hospitalized, but will be returning to long term care facility, and probably shortly, Hospice. His bank is requiring me to obtain a Durable PoA, but, obviously, I won't be able to get that prior to his passing. They said there are other instruments? My brother and I are... Read more »

Ryan K Hodges
Ryan K Hodges answered on Dec 2, 2019

If you dad is in Pennsylvania, then you should probably consult an attorney there regarding options. In Arizona, most attorneys draft all POAs as durable one, but the law may be different in PA.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Banking, Collections and Lemon Law for Arizona on
Q: What makes a contract void or voidable in AZ
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 26, 2019

Void and voidable are not the same thing. Please explain what you want.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Consumer Law and Banking for Arizona on
Q: I am on social security disability my mother has been my payee i have noticed more and more money coming up short bills

Not being paid tried getting info about my account only to find outonly she has access to the account and only she can make any changes or access statements what can i do i am now homeless her and my brother just tell me i don't have any money left the only bill thats paid is a 33 dollar... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 5, 2019

If you have reason to suspect that the payee on your Social Security Disability account is either not giving you sufficient walk-around money to use, or is spending your benefits on things other than your living expenses you should contact the Social Security Administration; there is probably a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts, Family Law and Probate for Arizona on
Q: I was told by bank on phone inquiry I made about a checking account balance then they tell me I had a savings also mine.

I didn't have time for asking for the finding out more about some sort of account that I was beneficiary or some kind of account from a will. I didn't get the information about account number or any info about this account, just told on phone call to the banks 1800number, then I went to... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 17, 2019

The bizarre story has all the markings of a scam in the making. Why? Because reputable banks do not just call people on the phone to discuss their bank accounts--especially if the person called has no idea they had the "accounts."

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Arizona on
Q: In Arizona if I buy three annuities from three different insurance companies of $250,000 each, does the state guarantee

Fund cover $750,000 if all three companies go bankrupt, or does the fund only cover $250,000

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 7, 2019

Before you invest $750,000 you really need to ask each insurance company for all the (required) information they have that answers and explains this exact question.

Caveat: There is no such thing as state or federal "guaranteed deposit insurance" when purchasing any insurance...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Collections for Arizona on
Q: I just found out my bank is going through a process server. Unknown to me the bank had been using a debt collection

agency but they told me they were from my bank. When I called my bank about them and gave my bank the number they called from, my bank informed me that the numbers were fraud and not to deal with them. At the time my bank was having an issue with fraudulent calls posing as the bank trying to get... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 5, 2019

Whether you know it or not, you are avoiding the most important issue here by confusing it with a completely different unrelated issue that probably does not concern you.

First advice: If you owe any money to the bank and have not paid it back, the bank most likely sold the debt to a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Banking for Arizona on
Q: My son was hit by a car when 7 i settled out of court for a secured cd account for when he turned 18

At first settlement was for 3,000 when he turned 18 he got 4,000 plus i guess he says the intrest was 250. Or around there he claims for the ten or elen years it sat in bank he should of recieved thousands more from intrest he says i robed him and was wronged was he wronged by bank or is this how... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 10, 2019

It sounds like you acted with the best of intentions in handling the award. From your description, it looks like you may have settled the case yourself. Even if an attorney was involved in handling the award under an infant comp order, it's hard to say if they would have done better with a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and White Collar Crime for Arizona on
Q: Chinese company wants me, U.S. citizen, to collect money from U.S. companies and then wire it to their U.S. businesses.

They say it would cost too much money to have the money owed to them from North American company wired back to China and then re-invest back into an American Business. They called it a receiving agent. Would this practice be legal? It sounds like laundering to me.

Jingzhan Wang
Jingzhan Wang answered on Apr 10, 2018

what's the company's business? why they need to have the money back to China befor re-investing into US

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Arizona on
Q: We are representing ourselves in a litigation case against a home servicing company.

We are at the stage of opposing side asking to dismiss. The judge denied their request 3 times, One of the approved was the Breach of Contract to include a few other charges. I now need to follow up doing a rebuttal I believe it is called to the ones that the apposing side has defended requesting... Read more »

Michael Gerity
Michael Gerity answered on Mar 16, 2018

Hello. I hate to say it, but this goes WAY beyond the kind of legal advice you should be seeking on an online question and answer forum. It's not really even clear whether you are the plaintiff or defendant, and it's nearly impossible to address issues relating to dismissal without a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Probate for Arizona on
Q: My mom past away in may of 2017. I have a sister and brother that have not been involved in her life since 2001.

I have been the only one taken care of her we lived together for since 2010. She had no will. I can't close her bank account because my brother feels he's entitled to the money. Mom left a letter but didn't sign it stating the two of them were to get nothing that she had no son as... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Nov 24, 2017

If your Mom was unmarried at the time of her death and had no will, her estate passes to her children in equal shares under Arizona law. Since the affidavit procedure did not work for you, the next step is to open a probate. I recommend speaking with a probate attorney to learn more about this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking and Securities Law for Arizona on
Q: Can people be removed from a TOD annuity account?

3 children set up with a transfer on death stocks account. Account owner wants to remove 2 of them. Is it possible?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jun 22, 2017

Assuming this was done as a way to name beneficiaries, and also assuming the owner is of sufficiently sound mind to make such a decision, of course.

If it is a trust account based on a document, you can't just change the designation at the broker but you have to also change the trust....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Divorce for Arizona on
Q: I want to get a ledger of my wife banks accounts, I have a power of attorney for finance but the banks refuses to give ?
Tevis Steven Reich
Tevis Steven Reich answered on Mar 2, 2017

There is likely something wrong or insufficient with the document you are presenting. Is it a springing power of attorney. Has the POA been revoked? I would suggest you speak with an attorney in your area who will be able to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Arizona on
Q: Can a bank refuse to acknowledge an affidavit signed by the successor that transfers ownership of an account to another?
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Oct 11, 2015

A lawyer can review the documents and advise.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.