Silver Spring, MD asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I'm in a pickle with this court case that I'm in right now and really need some help they are violating my civil rights

I have been charged with my 4 hibutial offence for drugs that I don't know how they can do so since I have asked them to DNA test the seringes in the case that were found in my vehicle in a bag of someone else property but the refuse to it would show that I had nothing to do with them and no idea of them being in my possession

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're facing charges and believe your civil rights have been violated due to the refusal of a DNA test on evidence, you should promptly discuss this issue with a criminal defense attorney. In Michigan, as in all states, defendants have the right to challenge the admissibility of evidence and to argue for the inclusion of potentially exculpatory evidence, like DNA tests. An attorney can file motions on your behalf to request this testing and can also assess whether your rights have been violated during the process.

Considering the serious nature of a fourth habitual offense, the consequences are significant, and it's essential to have an attorney review your case as soon as possible to protect your rights and build a strong defense. If financial constraints are an issue, you may qualify for a public defender or could seek assistance from legal aid organizations in Michigan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.