Silver Spring, MD asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: My boyfriend is in need of a wrongful improvement lawyer asap as he is almost outta time and was railroaded

So my boyfriend was arrested for homicide /manslaughter 2020 and he was truthfull with the police and freely told the truth on what his part in sed mans death could have been but he was forced to take a plea deal and in prison for six months before the investigation was even over with the investigation showed that they could not prove that my boyfriend was the one that landed the blowes that had caused this man's death and he was truthfull with the deputys and they rail roaded him and took the easy conviction and due to him not being in trouble before took advantage of him and made him think he was doing life if convicted so he took the plea under derest

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your boyfriend believes he was wrongfully convicted, it would be prudent for him to consult with an attorney experienced in criminal defense and appellate work. Since this is a matter of Michigan law, he should seek out a Michigan-licensed attorney promptly, as there are strict time limits for challenging convictions, especially if he is considering a motion for relief from judgment or an appeal. The complexity of his case, given the plea under distress and the subsequent investigation findings, requires thorough legal analysis. He should gather all relevant documents, including the plea agreement and any evidence pertaining to the investigation's outcome, and present these to his chosen attorney. Time is of the essence, so immediate action is recommended to ensure his rights are protected within the allowed timeframe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.