New Baltimore, MI asked in Civil Litigation, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Well house building dispute. Can we take quiet title or take adverse possession?

Five cottages which all used to be rentals until 1967 are only buildings hooked to the well house building which has its own address and bills come to me. A neighbor bought a cottage next door to it (which is not hooked up to the well house), yet wants access to it. He says building is on his property. I have been in possession of the building and maintenance of it for over 20 years. And have locked everyone out of it since 2014

One other cottage neighbor who is hooked up to it had control of it and the bills before me for over 20 years also. Building has a business address 6603 and only 5 cottages split costs of anything to do with building since 1967

There is nothing showing that I can find of it ever deeded to the 5 cottages. Nobody has ever given me permission or denied me permission to be in the building and putting locks on it. There are no documentation’s of this fact at the county or ever served to me or any owner hooked to it. This person just bought cottage in Aug 2022

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need a local real estate attorney to review all the facts and provide you advice. That is not something that can be provided in a forum like this.

Seriously — this is FAR more complicated than can be accommodated in a public forum. You need to hire an attorney!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.