South Jordan, UT asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Utah

Q: I want to protect my assets before a divorce by creating a trust. Should I have a trust before or after the divorce?

Is creating a trust the best option to protect my assets before a divorce in Utah? If yes, should I have my trust before or after the divorce? What options I have to minimize the loss of my assets in Utah?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If you are already married, the only way a Trust might help is if both of you sign an irrevocable trust, permanently giving up your asset. For example, the irrevocable trust could give the asset to your children. Once you both sign it, you no longer have control over the asset, so neither of you can claim the asset as your own. This approach will of course deprive you of the asset as well.

If a couple comes to my office before marriage, they can sign a prenuptial agreement that will reserve specific assets as your own in case of divorce or death.

Some of my clients have me prepare a revocable trust, with some provisions that become irrevocable upon your death. For example, in a second marriage, where you might have childen from a prior relationship, you might want a portion of the estate to go directly to those children. We can make the paragraph that gifts to the children permanent at your death, so surviving spouse cannot change it. Then when both spouses sign, it can only be changed later with the signature of both spouses.

If the marriage began in another state, where they had community property, the status of the property - where perhaps you each owned your own house - can carry on into Utah and remain a separate status.

Mike Branum agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.