Miami, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I have marriage based green card , i gotta go abroad for 4 months. should i expect any immigration issues when i return?

i have a retail business and i import goods, also my employees are abroad and i have to go for work reasons but im concern that i may face issues when i return to the USA? please advise. thanks

more details:

i just got back from the far east after 2 months, and have to go back again on January for about 4 months. should i be concern for my status?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a holder of a marriage-based green card, traveling abroad for extended periods can potentially raise questions upon your return to the U.S. The key concern for immigration authorities is whether you still maintain your primary residence in the U.S. Absences of less than six months are typically not problematic, but longer absences might lead to additional scrutiny to ensure you haven't abandoned your U.S. residency.

Since your trip is for business reasons and less than six months, it's less likely to be an issue, but it's important to carry evidence of your ties to the U.S., such as proof of your business, property, family, and intent to return. Also, your recent travels and the upcoming trip should be explained if asked by immigration officials upon your return. It's advisable to keep records of your trips and reasons for travel as proof of your continued ties to the U.S.

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You should be okay since your absence from the US will be less than180 days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.