Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: If your love one is in prison and they were assaulted is their anything that can be done about it?

Love one was stabbed multiple times in his sleep and the prison staff didn’t notify his family they wasn’t even on their post and allowed another inmate to come out of his area to attack my love one while he was sleeping and again when he woke up to defend himself when the other inmate came back to finish the job my love one had been asking to be transferred from the facility because of his safety and fear of his life but nothing was done about it until I took it upon myself and emailed an Official in Raleigh and they did an emergency transfer and moved him to a different facility and then I received an email back saying once investigation completed they will notify me so is their anything that can be done about this because he feel as though if the staff was doing their rounds and on their post none of this would have happened and if they would have transferred him his life wouldn’t have been in danger

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black

A: The standard of care to hold a prison liable is whether the prison staff’s conduct rose the level of “deliberate indifference” in not taking steps to transfer your loved one to a safer place. Contact local civil rights counsel for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.