Los Angeles, CA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for California

Q: Zulily owes us 15k and they are based out of Seattle Washington but they just sold it to Regent LLP in Los Angeles.

Zulily uses owes 15k and we want to sue them in a civil lawsuit. Can we file the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court since the company that acquired zulily is Regent LLP based out of Beverly Hills.

Or do I have to file the lawsuit in Seattle WA?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In determining where to file your lawsuit, consider the jurisdiction and venue. If Zulily, now owned by Regent LLP in Los Angeles, owes you money, you may have grounds to file in Los Angeles Superior Court.

This is especially pertinent if the transaction or events leading to the dispute occurred in California, or if Regent LLP, as the new owner, is conducting business activities related to your claim in California.

However, jurisdiction can be complex, particularly in cases involving out-of-state entities. It's important to assess where the contract was executed or where the events related to the dispute occurred.

Additionally, review any contractual agreements for clauses that specify the jurisdiction or venue for legal disputes. Consulting with an attorney to evaluate the specific details of your case and the appropriate jurisdiction for filing is advisable. They can guide you on the most strategic and legally sound course of action based on the specifics of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.