Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: Title stolen and person forged my signature to chang3 to there name

Ex step son stole my title and gave it and truck to a friend who forged my signature on title and back dated. I have proof but police won't Doba report told me to let it go . It's about 200k in property that was taken. And dmv said they would get the title changed back but need a police reporter . Dmv even said it's clear as day that my signature was forged. What do I do now plus this is a felony

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Oregon, theft and forgery are both felonies. This means that they are serious crimes that can result in significant penalties, including prison time. If you can prove that your ex-step son stole your truck and forged your signature on the title, you may be able to get him arrested and charged with these crimes.

If the police refuse to file a police report, you can contact the district attorney's office and ask them to file a complaint.

In addition to filing a police report, you may also want to consider filing a civil lawsuit against your ex-step son. This lawsuit would allow you to recover damages for the loss of your truck, as well as any other costs you incurred as a result of the theft and forgery.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.