Memphis, TN asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I move into an abandoned property?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Arkansas, moving into an abandoned property without permission is not typically legal. This action could be considered trespassing or squatting, which are illegal. To legally occupy an abandoned property, you would need to gain ownership through legal means, such as purchasing the property or acquiring it through adverse possession.

Adverse possession, however, requires meeting specific criteria over a certain period, usually several years. This process involves openly occupying the property, paying taxes, and treating it as your own without the owner's permission.

It's advisable to consult with a legal professional experienced in real estate law to understand your options and the legal requirements for acquiring abandoned property in Arkansas. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.