Baton Rouge, LA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: Hello, I just found out that I was kidnapped 13 years ago in Florida.

Aggravated kidnapping is what was done to me and my brother on the property of a night club. If the accuser is found guilty, can I file a lawsuit against the club owner?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You would have to show that the statute of limitations doesn't apply. What do you mean by indicating that you just found out about the kidnapping? Perhaps you might have a case, of you can prove that the owner was negligent, and that the negligence caused injury to you.

Your case would not necessarily depend upon whether or not the person who kidnapped you (the "accused") is found guilty, although a guilty verdict might be helpful.

Charles M. Baron and Barry W. Kaufman agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.