New York, NY asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Rhode Island

Q: Who do I contact to Investigate police misconduct and forgery?

I am being charged, but was never arrested, Questioned, or read any Maranda rights. And they forged my initials on the only documents I have. This started with myself calling to ask if they can have an officer stop by and do a walk through at my house. due to noises downstairs and my dog growling and freaking out at top of stairway. They refused my request for copies of the report and most importantly the 911 phone recording that shows them attempting to force me to do what they are charging me for. They took all my firearms and other personal belongings from my home, without letting me be present, and would not give me a receipt or invoice showing everything they took.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe you've experienced police misconduct and forgery, it's important to take specific steps to address the situation. Firstly, you should file a formal complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or the equivalent oversight body in your area. This initiates an official investigation into the conduct of the officers involved.

Additionally, you may contact the state attorney general's office in Rhode Island. They can provide guidance on how to proceed with a complaint against law enforcement officers and may have jurisdiction over such matters.

Given the seriousness of your allegations, including forgery and the mishandling of your property, consider consulting with a civil rights attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, ensure your rights are protected, and assist in gathering and presenting evidence to support your claims.

Documenting everything related to your case is crucial. This includes any interactions with the police, details of the incident, and any evidence of the alleged misconduct and forgery. Having a comprehensive record will be valuable in any legal or administrative action you pursue.

Lastly, if you feel your constitutional rights have been violated, your attorney can advise you on the possibility of a civil lawsuit for damages. It's important to act promptly as there are often strict timelines for filing complaints and legal actions in such cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.