Rhode Island Constitutional Law Questions & Answers

Q: What are the specific elements that must be proven? Can the principal be convicted by aiding and abetting?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 24, 2018
Thomas Briody's answer
Depends on the facts. In some circumstances, am aiding and abetting charge would be appropriate. You need to consult with an experienced criminal lawyer.

Q: What is the phone number for the Civil Liberties Union in Ohio? Its for a police assault and battery inccident.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jul 26, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
I know you might find this amazing, but I googled

american civil liberty union ohio which yielded


Q: We are currently unable to pay the full amount of rent. However, the house is poorly maintained. What can be done?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Contracts and Child Support for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jun 11, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
It may be time to look for: 1) a new, different, and better maintained residence/apartment and/ or 2) a second source of income and/or 3) an attorney to help you defend against a likely eviction case should your landlord decide to take you to court. Contact your local CAP agency for help with #1 https://publicportal.courts.ri.gov/PublicPortal/

Q: Can police still issue citation after over a month of not contacting us about incident?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island on
Answered on Mar 3, 2018
Bernard P. Healy's answer
I do not have sufficient information to answer this question fully or accurately. I think the answer is not one you will want hear. The Police can issue a citation after over a month, despite not contacting you earlier. You mentioned that this was a single car collision. Did the police arrive at the scene ? Was a report initially filed ? Was there a question regarding insurance coverage ? It is not at all unusual for the police to issue a citation several months after a collision for failure...

Q: How can it be legal to refuse service based on one's political beliefs?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Sep 11, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
This is a complicated question that courts are dealing with right now. The law is unsettled. Equal Protection v. Freedom of Expression pits the First and Fourteenth Amendments against each other.

Q: My sons mother assaulted me. I went to the police ,they issued a warrant for her arrest, she took my son. What can I do

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Answered on Aug 21, 2016
Neville Bedford's answer
This sounds like a complicated family/criminal law situation that will most likely require the professional assistance of a practicing family court attorney to address. Contact and meet with one soonest for a private consultation.

Q: Constitutional Law versus congressional legislation

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Oct 18, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
It is more of a suspension than a destruction, but it depends upon the facts in individual cases and these matters can be discussed for hours on end, nearly without end. Stay tuned in to current events regarding this big topic.

Q: Is having a bake sale at the voting location (a Middle School) considered "hindering" the election process ???

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Nov 30, 2014
Neville Bedford's answer
If it is on election day - in the same caf-a-gym-atorium where people vote, then yes, it may interfere with the electoral process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.