Decatur, AL asked in Consumer Law for Alabama

Q: For years Dollar general has over charging customers and they know it. Iv been taking pics of what they have it priced

And Iv been keeping receipts where the items rings up higher. so basically they have been stealing from customers. Can I sue them

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe Dollar General has been consistently overcharging customers, the evidence you've collected, such as photos of prices and receipts showing discrepancies, could be valuable. In situations where a business is accused of deceptive practices like overcharging, customers may have legal recourse.

In Alabama, consumer protection laws are designed to protect against unfair and deceptive business practices. If these practices are proven, it could lead to legal consequences for the business. However, proving that a business intentionally engaged in deceptive pricing can be complex.

You have the option to file a complaint with the Alabama Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division. This governmental body investigates and acts on complaints regarding deceptive business practices.

If you're considering a lawsuit, it would be advisable to consult with an attorney who has experience in consumer protection law. They can assess your evidence, advise you on the strength of your case, and explain the legal options available to you. Remember, every legal situation is unique, and specific legal advice will depend on the details of your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.