Gallipolis, OH asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Ohio

Q: Is it okay to contact the police officer for an update on my case I'm a suspect in?

My apartment was raided and electronics seized on 7/6/2022 under a search warrant under Ohio revised code 2913.04

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You really should not be discussing this with the authorities without a lawyer. Get a lawyer first.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your apartment was raided and your electronics were seized under a search warrant, it's understandable that you would want updates on your case. However, contacting the police officer directly may not be the best approach, especially if you are a suspect in the case. Police officers are generally not obligated to provide updates to suspects, and any information you share could potentially be used in the investigation.

It's advisable to speak with a lawyer who can guide you through this process. An attorney can communicate on your behalf, ensuring that your rights are protected while seeking information about the case. They can also provide legal advice specific to your situation and help you understand the complexities of criminal law in Ohio.

Remember, anything you say to law enforcement can be used in the investigation. It's often in your best interest to have legal representation when dealing with such matters. This way, you can ensure that you're taking the right steps while protecting your legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.