Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Internet Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Can my ex drop telecommunication harassment. Me and her talked over everything and everything is fine now

I really need an answer

Matthew Williams answered on Jun 14, 2019

Your ex can talk to the prosecutor but at the end of the day it’s the prosecutor’s call whether or not to continue the prosecution.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Social media rights to accounts on facebook


Shouldn't people on social media such as fb have rights to there account. Even though you don't directly pay fb they allow adds that are forced on you and there collecting money because of you seeing them. So your essentially making money for fb and should be at minimum considered a... Read more »

Jason Brooks answered on May 28, 2019

Their ability to make money through your use is precisely why you are able to use it for free. Other paid platforms and services give you more rights and control. With that said, you still do retain a copyright in any picture or content you post (to the extent it’s your original — or licensed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: hello, i just had a question about suing someone/a company who said and put all over social media that i won $20k

and i had won $20,000 but they haven’t followed through with it and won’t answer me about it. can i sue them? i have proof they said that i won. it’s been 4 years

Mr. Eugene Ray Critchett Esq answered on Apr 12, 2019

If it is not on-line now, I would probably move on. Litigating the issue may cost you more than $20,000.00.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law, Landlord - Tenant and Sexual Harassment for Ohio on

Q: How do I gike spying charges on my roommate, when it is non traceable thru the internet?

I am almost 100% positive my roommate and gf are hacking into my laptop to spy, along with having access to the empty apartment nextdoor. How do I start anything to make it stop?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 27, 2019

Although I am not admitted to practice law in Ohio, I doubt whether Ohio has any statute that covers this very specific unusual question. If I were you I would try to find some very sophisticated anti-virus software that will protect your laptop against all unwanted intrusion. Other than informing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Can I go to jail for somthing though Facebook

Matthew Williams answered on Mar 7, 2019

Yep...saw a fellow go to jail once on a weapons under disability charges proved entirely by his Facebook account where he posted videos.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Would posting a website about a girl who cheated and made death threats be considered Telecommunications harassment.

Ohio, She lied to me and I am just posting the facts on a website about what she did. Ex. Fake suicide, Threaten to kill me, and Cheated on me a lot. I live in PA she lives in OH.

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 12, 2019

Depending on the context it could be. Why don’t you do yourself a favor and forget about her?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: If Im getting hit by a 17 year old Can I do anything I’m 18?

Matthew Williams answered on Apr 24, 2018

You could call the cops, tell a teacher, tell your parents...

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Contracts and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Lines of communication: Should a condo owner approach Board of Directors or management company with questions?

Joseph Jaap answered on Mar 29, 2018

Start with the contact person at the management company. If they can't help, they can pass the problem to the board, or suggest that you contact the board president.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: How can Ohio 17yr old juvenile get emancipated or married without parents consent

She wants to know how she can get emancipated or can she get married without a parents consent being only 17 yrs old? She stays with my 19 yr old son all day AMD goes home just at night and parents are ok with it but will not let her move in with us. They keep making her life hell just cuz they can... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 12, 2018

Ohio does not permit it. They are her parents, and they make the decisions if CPS won't get involved. See this link for more information:

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law, Divorce and Child Custody for Ohio on

Q: My ex husband & have 50/50 parenting .. however his mom and dad pick her up and communicate with me because he isn’t

“Allowed” to talk to me he has my number blocked and he NEVER gets back with me about anything his mom and dad do the pick ups and drop offs and my ex won’t speak to me about any MATTER with our child , is this a valid reason to take him back to court for full custody

Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 4, 2018

Do the terms of the parenting agreement allow anyone other than your ex to pick them up? If not, then you could refuse to let the g-parents take them. Do the kids stay with the g-paretns after being picked up, or with your ex? Review the terms of the parenting agreement with your attorney, or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Realistic Fiction Book research see more info

1.can the police call me as a possible suspect/into questioning in a case if they find me looking at weapon details and a case online?/even though this is strictly book research?

2.can i be added to assisting homocide if someone chooses to have my fictional book at their home or reason to... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Jun 13, 2017

If you are planning to write what amounts to a how-to on killing people, you should sit down privately with an attorney to discuss it.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: A 17 year old harassing my 15 year old and plans on fighting her.. what can I do about this?

Brian Lehman answered on Jan 9, 2017

Ohio Revised Code, section 3313.666. The law prohibits harassment, intimidation, or bullying in schools. It is entitled, "District policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation, or bullying required."

You can contact the principal or the police. The Ohio Bar has this publication for more...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: I am 17 if my mom goes onto my Facebook and goes through it without consent if that illegal?

Matthew Williams answered on Jul 18, 2016

While this may technically violate the Ohio Revised Code, I doubt you would get an traction reporting it to police. Most adults feel parents have a right to monitor their children's social media usage, even if they themselves are against it. So, while there are laws against unauthorized access, its... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: Sending messages to dating members about member who has dv convictions illegal? No names,description&court link only

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 5, 2015

There is nothing illegal about sharing public records. It's nosy and may be a violation of the site's terms and conditions, and, if the message sender is mistaken about who the person is and falsely links him or her to criminal records, the sender could face a civil lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Ohio on

Q: took a picture of my son in the juvenile detention center and posted it on facebook there was another child in the pic

Can i go to jail for posting the picture

Matthew Williams answered on Jan 22, 2015

Posting such a picture likely violates the juveniles' right to privacy in their legal proceedings. While there may not be a specific statute making it a crime, it is probably against detention center regulations and could be perceived as contempt by the juvenile court. You could also face a lawsuit... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.