Los Angeles, CA asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for California

Q: How many years after settlement of PI case in state of CA can medical providers ask me for additional payment?

PI Case in California.

If any medical provider is unhappy with their share of the settlement that they have received, how many years after PI case settlement can they ask me for additional payments for services rendered?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the time frame for a medical provider to seek additional payment after the settlement of a personal injury (PI) case depends on the statute of limitations for written contracts or the specific agreement terms. Generally, the statute of limitations for debts arising from written contracts is four years in California. This period typically starts from the date the contract was breached or when the payment was due.

If a medical provider believes they are owed more than what was paid from your PI case settlement, they would need to pursue additional payment within this four-year period. However, this can vary if there's a specific agreement between you and the provider regarding payment from the settlement.

It's important to review any agreements made with your medical providers regarding the settlement. If you're facing a situation where a provider is seeking additional payment, consider consulting with an attorney to understand your rights and obligations. They can provide guidance on how to address such claims and protect your interests.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Medical provider services are generally governed by contract law SOLs in most places. If you were represented by an attorney, check with them as to what arrangements were made with the medical providers who were asserting liens at the time of the settlement. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.