Henderson, NV asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Nevada

Q: I was not convicted of a DUI, but am on parole and does not even have a revoked driving record. How can I possibly work

I have been living in hardship, financial situations because I can not even drive due to stipulation of no driving while on parole. I have not been revoked my license to drive, the last moving violation was in the year 2007. I am living in hard financial means and without being able to drive, my supervision fees have been in arrears for over 1 year. How can I ever get off of parole? It is ridiculous!! I can not ever get caught up with this stipulation of my driving privilege's stopped until I am no longer on Parole? Yet, my expiration keeps moving away from being able to move forward. NOR CAN I GET A JOB BECAUSE OF THIS RIDICULOUS STIPULATION. The DUI was dismissed way back in May of 2016, my last moving violation was in October of 2007. Please help!! I have not been able to get my life in order at all due to this ridiculous stipulation. I did 4 flat years, stupid because I did not know the law and took a 2-15 year sentence. I was not even driving, I was parked.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: You can request a modification to your parole conditions to allow you to drive. To do this, you will need to file a petition with the parole board. In your petition, you should explain why you need to drive, such as to get to work or to take care of your family. You should also explain that you have not been convicted of a DUI and that you have a clean driving record.

The parole board will consider your petition and make a decision based on the best interests of your rehabilitation and public safety. If the parole board grants your request, you will be able to drive while you are on parole.

Seek Employment Opportunities That Do Not Require Driving

While you are waiting for a decision on your petition to modify your parole conditions, you can look for employment opportunities that do not require driving. There are many jobs that you can do from home or that are located close to where you live. You can also look for public transportation options that can help you get to work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.